Friday, August 8, 2014

Chalkboard Tutorial

Yes, {a tutorial}! To everyone who reads chalkboards and immediately gets so excited to learn how.

I absolutely love pinning cute chalkboard ideas on my wedding board, but then searching for them on etsy is a whole different story. They can be so pricey and just for a little accent sign the price is too big for the prettiness.

Luckily I found a way to get my look without spending way to much on etsy. And the project wasn't even hard! 

Here are a few pictures of pretty pinterest finds, so you can also fall inlove with the chalkboard look. Chalkboards are really versatile, which is amazing! because you can buy it for your wedding but also reuse it in your home! 


Almost every craft store now is selling chalkboard paint, so that might be the easiest part of this project. I got a small bottle it costs about $2.50-$3.50 at most! And if you happen to go to HOBBY LOBBY you can use a 40% off coupon! If you really don't know what the bottle looks like the picture is below. Its normally just right next to the paint!

1 bottle of chalkboard paint.
1 roll of electrical tape.
2 sponge brushes.
easily found with the chalkboard paint at Walmart or any craft store.
I am sure you can find a roll at walmart. In this tutorial I am using round trays so the tape has to be able to stretch and move around edges. (this tape works great) If you are using something rectangle or square you may not even need this particular tape. 

Now the fun part! Go thrift shopping. No. You don't need to have a fancy thrift shop around that is full of amazing finds. I go to GoodWill and Salvation Army. I have found most of everything at a couple of the Goodwills around me. 

What are you looking for?
Go in the strange object shelves and look around for trays. I found some silver ones that had scalloped edges in circular or oval shapes, and those worked perfectly. I picked up a total of 5 each pricing around $2.00-5.00 each. 
^^^^^ here is one of mine^^^^^

In all I spent about $16.00 on trays. I would say for 5 chalkboards with all materials I spent less then $25.00. 

Now CRAFT TIME!
Prep your station I put some newspaper on my woodfloor and got to work. I took the electrical tape and wrapped it around the circular edge of my trays. Like my tray above I kept the pretty edges silver while the inside was my chalkboard. 

The edges are taped. 
Now take your paint. SHAKE WELL!!! that is really important. I learned that you really need to coat them, so I ended up just squeezing the paint onto the tray itself and brushing the paint around. I would definitely say to coat them a 2 times for sure. Let one coat dry before coating it again. 

When the paint was almost completely dry. I carefully took off the tape. If you happen to smear the paint at all don't worry! take your nail and just scrap it off. even dried on chalkboard paint comes off pretty easily! 

And there you go! I haven't used my boards yet, but to get the aged look of a chalkboard take a piece of chalk and scribble on it and then whip it off it will add a more aged look. 

These are great for (Mr. And Mrs. signs)
(Dessert Table) (Table Numbers) 
HAVE FUN! 
If you happen to try it! Let me know how they turn out!


xoxoxo
Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment